How to Stop Coughing: Helpful Information from Sinai Urgent Care
Few things are as frustrating as not being able to squash a nagging, hacking cough. Coughing from viral or bacterial infections or allergies can be distracting and even keep you awake at night. Here are some practical tips to help you kick your cough and get back to feeling like yourself:
- Take a steamy shower and use a humidifier. Steam can help loosen the mucus that triggers coughing fits.
- Use an over-the-counter cough suppressant or expectorant. This may seem like a no-brainer, but taking a cough suppressant or expectorant according to package directions can go a long way toward calming a consistent cough. (Children under the age of four should not take these medications.)
- Try menthol cough drops. Throat drops with menthol can help soothe irritation that may be causing your cough.
- Use an extra pillow at night. If coughing is preventing you from getting a good night’s sleep, try propping up your head with an extra pillow.
- Drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated is key to overcoming a cough-causing infection.
- Check the air quality. Irritants in the air can exacerbate an already disruptive cough. Consider replacing your air filter and be sure to avoid exposure to secondhand smoke, if possible.
If you still can’t figure out how to stop coughing despite all these tips, consider stopping by Sinai Urgent Care in Dallas, Texas. Our physician-led immediate care center offers prompt and professional cough treatment from experienced practitioners. We can provide onsite diagnostics to pinpoint the exact source of your symptoms and develop a treatment plan to help you overcome your cough as quickly as possible.
Visit us today! Sinai Urgent Care is open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and accepts all major health insurance plans.